About the position:
We are looking for an Intern for our SME project that helps financial institutions, supervisors, central banks to understand and manage the financial risk resulting from climate related transition risks and physical risks. The Intern will focus on in-depth analysis of climate, financial and company data sets that inform our physical risk model, with a particular focus on SMEs in Europe. Your main assignment will be to contribute to the development of an open-source climate database on SMEs. For each company, the database will provide an individual physical and transition risk score, based on the geolocation of the firm’s assets, supply chain information, products and service portfolio, and other public data. The intern will contribute to that process by gathering, structuring and analyzing data sets from all these three realms, developing prototypes of the models in R and doing research on how to improve the underlying physical risk model.
- Dive deep into the status quo of the discussion on translating physical climate risk into risk metrics for real economic firms and financial assets
- Contribute to the development of a physical climate risk metric for SMEs with regard to methodology and software implementation
- Data wrangling and analysis in R
- Working and doing research with the broader 2DII research team working in the area of climate alignment models and climate impact modelling
- Past or current Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with a primary focus on a quantitative field, e.g. (Sustainable) Finance, Economics, Physics, or related subjects
- Past work/study experience using R (or Python), familiarity with packages such as dplyr, tidyr, ggplot2 etc. is very beneficial
Nice to have:
- Experience working with locational data and matching data with risk heat maps
- Some knowledge of sustainable finance is a plus
- Strong sense of organization and autonomy
- Very diligent working style is an absolute requirement
- Knowledge of one or more of the following fields is a plus (you are not expected to master them all!): a) climate finance b) statistical modelling (especially with R) c) SME ecosystem in the EU
We offer you:
- Inclusion in the team from the very beginning with own responsibilities and the space to bring up your ideas
- A dynamic team with a lot of fun and passion for our mission
- A personal line manager that will support you with your professional and personal development
- A salary of €1,800 / month
About 1in1000: 1in1000 is a new research program by 2°Investing Initiative that brings together new & existing research projects on long-termism, climate change, and (inter-)connected future risks for financial markets, the economy, and society. Its objective is to develop evidence, design tools, and build capacity to help financial institutions and supervisors mitigate and adapt to future risks and challenges. The program focuses on climate change and the universe of risks and challenges linked to climate change, notably ecosystem service and biodiversity loss, as well as risks from a decline in social cohesion and resilience. To achieve this objective, 1in1000 focuses on three main areas: i) Long-term metrics; (ii) Risk (management) tools and frameworks; and (iii) Policies & incentives.
About 2° Investing Initiative:
The 2° Investing Initiative (2DII) is an international, non-profit think tank working to align financial markets and regulations with the Paris Agreement goals. We have been developing tools for the financial sector to better understand the impacts of climate change on the financial sector. This is available free of charge as a climate scenario analysis tool at www.transitionmonitor.com.
The application deadline is 16.06.2022. Please send your application letter to jobs[at]2degrees-investing.org with information on your availability/start date, a CV without a picture, and a short cover letter.
2° Investing Initiative is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunities and will take positive action to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and our applicants in the conduct of all business activities.