Head of Retail Investing Program – 2° Investing Initiative (Paris)
Applicants should have demonstrated expertise in sustainable finance and program and stakeholder management together with experience in research and technical analysis.
We are also recruiting a Senior Research Analyst with experience in the same field. For the desired qualifications of that profile please see “Senior Research Analyst: Retail Investing”.
The transition to a low carbon economy requires providers of capital to steer investment decisions in a direction compatible with the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals. As the ultimate owners and beneficiaries, retail investors play an important role in this evolution towards a more sustainable financial system.
A large majority of retail clients expect their savings to contribute to social and environmental objectives. But currently the integration of these objectives in investment strategies by financial intermediaries is both marginal and superficial. The European Commission is currently introducing a series of reforms to address this problem, including an obligation for financial advisors to ask about and take into account social and environmental objectives, and an obligation for product manufacturers with social and environmental features to disclose relevant information. We expect these reforms to lead to a major transformation of the retail market and inspire similar reforms in other jurisdictions.
Our retail investing program uses a multi-disciplinary approach to support and accelerate this transformation in the EU and beyond, as well as increase the understanding of the impact of financial products in the real economy and consumer expectations in this regard. As the head of the retail investing program, you will be leading a diverse range of work including consumer research, behavioural finance, legal and regulatory analysis, policy work, methodological and data work, and software development.
We are looking for somebody who can bring their vision and knowledge of retail investment market to help shape the future of our program. In addition, you will be responsible for managing the program to ensure our different work activities are carried out effectively so that the retail investing program supports our objective of bringing about a transformation in the EU financial system.
The 2° Investing Initiative (2DII) is an international, non-profit think tank working to align financial markets and regulations with the Paris Agreement goals. We have been developing tools for the financial sector to better understand the impacts of climate change on the financial sector. This is available free of charge as a climate scenario analysis tool at www.transitionmonitor.com.
Your main responsibilities will be in relation to shaping the retail investing program and project management of the various grants falling under the retail program including:
- Identifying new funding opportunities and drafting proposals and pitches.
- Ensuring adequate planning and resourcing for each project and coordinating work activities across projects.
- Scoping, monitoring and reporting for work packages and ensuring timely deliverables of good quality.
- Budget monitoring, financial reporting and other administrative tasks relating to partners and funders.
- Managing relations with external stakeholders (academic institutions, supervisory authorities, policy makers and standard setters, financial institutions, multi stakeholder working groups etc).
- Raising the profile of our work through attending and speaking at industry conferences etc.
Our multidisciplinary approach means that you will be managing delivery of the following work activities:
Consumer research on retail clients’ expectations and behaviour
- Designing and implementing quantitative consumer surveys, conducting qualitative interviews and focus groups and liaising with partners carrying our behavioural finance field experiments to explore topics related to purchasing green financial products.
Investment techniques and suitable products
- Assessing different investment techniques and methodologies available to substantiate claims for having an impact in the real economy.
Responsible marketing and distribution
- Supporting investors, banks and fund managers assess the impact of their climate actions.
- Analysing the compliance of environmental claims made by fund managers, investors, and banks.
- Coordinating mystery shopping visits to assess financial advisor compliance with regulatory requirements.
Regulatory and policy work
- Supporting the development of environmental labels on financial products, through technical and legal analysis, and market research on products, data, and consumer preferences.
- Supporting the EU reform agenda in relation to the suitability assessment and accompanying regulatory guidance and national regulation together with exporting the reform to other jurisdictions.
- Advancing the state of the art in terms of evidence-based suitability questionnaires which build on consumer research, behavioural finance, and methodological developments for impact measurement.
- Supporting the development of free and non-commercial online tools comparing retail products on financial and non-financial criteria or providing free, unbiased, non-commercial online financial advisor.
- Masters Degree in Economics/Econometrics/Finance/Engineering or related discipline
- Experience in working in the financial sector (climate or mainstream) or regulatory and policy sector
- Program/project management and stakeholder management skills
- Knowledge of key climate / energy related concepts (e.g. energy systems, electricity markets, GHG emissions accounting, etc.) is beneficial
- Knowledge of impact investing concepts
- French working level (beneficial)
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to sets of diverse stakeholders
- Willingness to apply even if you do not tick all the boxes!
We offer you:
- A dynamic team of developers, data scientists, analysts, and sustainable finance specialists passionate about the climate transition
- A mission that brings together technology and real-world impact
- Flexibility in terms of working hours and a family-friendly working environment
- Competitive salary subject to experience and office location
Interested in changing finance to tackle climate change? Contact us!
Please send your application (CV without picture and brief cover letter in English indicating your earliest possible start date and salary expectations) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and mention the reference of this ad in the subject line.
2° Investing Initiative is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunities and will take positive action to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants in the conduct of all business activities.
Job Ref #: 2DII/UE/1020/RT-HP