The aim of this program is creating an open-source toolset for climate related risk assessments for various stakeholders on the financial market and applying the tools in collaborations with financial supervisors. As this journey involves research on data sources, modelling of climate hazards and transitions scenarios, coding of robust code and usable interfaces as well as vivid collaborations with external partners, we focus strongly on an interdisciplinary team. Building on 2DII’s focus on financial markets, and the success of the PACTA-toolset for alignment measurements, the program has the following two objectives: a) facilitate the capacity building on climate related risk among institutional investors and b) provide open-source risk metrics to reduce transaction costs of climate assessments for supervisors and institutional investors.
The 2° Investing Initiative (2DII) is an international, non-profit think tank working to align financial markets and regulations with the Paris Agreement goals. We have been developing tools for the financial sector to better understand the impacts of climate change on the financial sector. This is available free of charge as a climate scenario analysis tool at www.transitionmonitor.com.
About the role and responsibilities:
- Perform research in a new and challenging field by supporting on projects that concentrate on the management of climate related risks, i.e. develop tools to measure (stress testing, scenario analysis), monitor (dashboards, interactive web interfaces) and mitigate (impact assessment) climate related risks.
- Collect, evaluate, and process relevant data, such as climate risk maps, transition roadmaps or sector data and explore alternative data sources and methods to scrape information from publicly available data.
- Collaborate with the stress-test team at 2DII and worldwide project partners.
- Experience and motivation to work on climate change impacts.
- Experience in working with data, ability to interpret data and passion for data wrangling and data QA.
- Ability to self-organize and sense for scientific methods.
- Basic programming skills and willingness to dive into R.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
- Good level of understanding of finance or a desire to learn, previous work or internship experience in finance, monetary policy, risk management topics is a plus.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following fields a) scenario and stress testing activities b) monetary policy and financial supervision c) sustainable financial policies is a plus.
- Background in maths, engineering or natural sciences is a plus.
- Willingness to apply even if you do not tick all the boxes!
- A dynamic team of developers, data scientists, analysts with various scientific backgrounds and sustainable finance specialists – all passionate about the climate transition
- A mission that brings together technology and impact
- An agile work environment, cooperative team culture
- Flexibility in terms of working hours and a family-friendly working environment
- Centrally located office space
- Competitive salary subject to experience and office location
The application deadline is May 1st. Please send your application letter to jobs[at]2degrees-investing.org with information on your availability/start date, a CV without a picture, and a short cover letter.
2° Investing Initiative is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunities and will take positive action to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants in the conduct of all business activities.