About the position:
We are looking for a passionate Data Analyst to join a growing team of researchers developing our flagship 1in1000 climate stress test model developed in partnership with leading central banks, supervisors and financial institutions.
The goal of the 1in1000 team is to integrate the management of long-term risks, especially those related to climate change, into financial risk and supervisory practices. We aim to develop a free, open-source and transparent climate stress testing methodology, designed to enable all financial institutions gain access to a high-quality climate financial risk analysis. Building on 2DII’s focus on financial markets, and the success of the toolset for alignment measurements (PACTA, 1in1000, MyFairMoney), the research has the following two objectives:
- Develop a world-class climate-financial stress testing methodology;
- Build quantitative analytical tools;
- Provide advisory and capacity building exercises with leading central banks, supervisors and financial institutions;
- Help financial institutions shift investment towards a sustainable future and create a positive impact in the fight against climate change and climate-related financial risks.
We strive to build an interdisciplinary team of analysts, researchers and coders who will work together to analyse data sources, model climate risks scenarios, code robust software and usable interfaces as well as actively collaborate with external partners both from leading financial institutions and academia. The candidate should have a collaborative approach to work and a track record of project management and problem solving while working with high attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
Your main assignment will be to contribute to the development of climate stress test software and tools as well as:
- Contribute to the theoretical design of our climate stress test model methodology that can build on the PACTA tool and forward-looking asset-level data
- Develop online apps and tools (for example in RShiny or Streamlit) which are user friendly and appealing to its users institutional investors and partners in the supervisory community
- Improve and maintain climate scenario, financial and forward-looking production input data processing infrastructure
- Research third-party stress-test scenarios and implementing these in our stress test software and online modules currently under development
- Represent 2DII in external climate stress test specific conversations
- Collaborate with the broader 2DII research team of software developers working in the area of climate alignment models and climate impact modelling
- An inquisitive, well-structured and scientific approach to problem-solving
- Hands on experience in R or Python
- Interest in coding of dashboards or apps in RShiny or Streamlit
- Knowledge of climate financial risk, sustainable finance, climate science, complex systems is a plus
- Ability to self-organise and successfully juggle multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English
- Flexible, solution-oriented and pragmatic mindset
- Willingness to apply even if you do not tick all the boxes!
- A dynamic team of developers, data scientists, climate scientists, economists and sustainable finance specialists; all passionate about effectively fighting climate change
- A mission which brings together technology and impact
- A supportive environment for growth and collaboration with people from various backgrounds.
- Flexible working hours: time is precious and we respect it. Our hybrid working model makes it possible to combine personal life with work life.
- Centrally located office space in Berlin & everything set to work remotely
- Competitive salary subject to experience
- Opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge research with our extended network of world-class researchers
About 2° Investing Initiative:
The 2° Investing Initiative (2DII) is an independent, non-profit think tank that coordinates some of the world’s largest research projects on sustainable finance. The 1in1000 initiative aims to help financial institutions to better identify climate-related financial risks that are an unprecedented source of financial instability.
Our free online and open-source tools available on www.transitionmonitor.com and on https://github.com/2DegreesInvesting/r2dii.climate.stress.test
Interested in changing finance to tackle climate change? Contact us!
The application deadline is on the 20th of March but we are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send your application (CV without picture and brief cover letter in English indicating your earliest possible start date and salary expectations) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2° Investing Initiative is committed to equal employment opportunities and will take positive action to continually ensure equal opportunity to our employees and to our applicants in the conduct of all business activities. We provide equal opportunities to all individuals regardless of religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.